Recipe by MissPenny
I cant wait until November each year when I know I will have a turkey carcass that I can use in this recipe. My kids also look forward to this every year
Top Review by sugarpea
This was GREAT! We had chicken gumbo because I had a leftover roasted chicken. Simpler to make than it might appear to be. Spicy but not overly so when served over the rice. Just delicious!
- 1 turkey carcass, plus about
- 8 -16 ounces left over cooked turkey
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 medium onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces diced kielbasa
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 10 ounces frozen cut okra
- 1 cup long-grain rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare turkey broth; Cut carcass into several pieces.
- Cut leftover turkey meat into 3/4in pieces;cover and refrigerate.
- Cut carrot and 1 celery stalk into 2-inch pieces; cut 1 onion into 4 wedges.
- reserve remaining celery and onion for making gumbo later.
- In a 6-quart saucepot, place carass, cut up carrot, celery, and onion, and 1 garlic clove.
- Add 2 quarts of water; heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, 1 hour.
- Drain broth through colander into a bowl and discard solids and return broth to saucepot.
- Heat broth to boiling and boil uncovered 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare gumbo; In a 4-quart saucepan, cook flour over low heat until golden (about 10mins) stirring frequently.
- Transfer flour to cup and set aside Thinly slice remaining celery, and onion and mince remaining garlic clove.
- In same saucepan heat oil over med-hight heat.
- Add kiebasa and cook 2 mins or until lightly browned.
- With a slotted spoon transfer kielbasa to plate.
- Stir 1/4 cup turkey broth into flour in cup until paste forms.
- reduce heat to med; add paste to saucepan and cook 1 minute stirring gradually stir in 2 3/4 c turkey broth Return kielbasa to saucepan.
- Stir in onion, celery,garlic, tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste, chopped red pepper, bay leaf, salt, thyme, ground red pepper, and allspice; heat to boiling over high heat.
- Add frozen okra; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender, Stir in turkey meat; cook 1 minute Meanwhile prepare rice; In 2-quart saucepan, heat remaining 2 cups turkey broth to boiling over high heat.
- Add rice heat to boliing.
- Reduce heat to low cover and siimmer 18-20mins until rice is tender.
- To serve, discard bay leaf from gumbo.
- Spoon gumbo over rice in bowls.