Recipe by MNLisaB
Had leftovers from a fresh turkey and wanted something with pizazz.I started out with LorenLou's Best Leftover Turkey Gumbo, but changed it so much it became a different recipe.The main diff is using ground chorizo sausage to make mini meatballs, ading tomatoes, shrimp and okra.I also cut out some cooking time cuz DH and kids were hungry and couldn't wait!
- 5 cups cubed leftover cooked turkey
- 9 cups turkey broth or 9 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, cleaned,deveined
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chorizo sausages, shaped into 1 inch meatballs
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, to taste
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a roux by adding the oil, then flour in a large dutch oven.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mahogany in color, for about 20-30 minutes.
- Add all of the fresh chopped vegetables and cook for about 15 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- In the meantime, you can cook the sausage meatballs in a fry pan (I used my micro's sensor cook) until just done, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth to the vegetable mixture in the dutch oven and stir well.
- Add in the turkey and the drained meatballs.
- Add in the canned tomatoes.
- Add in the hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat, for 30 minutes, or longer to develop the flavors.
- Fifteen minutes before you plan to serve, add the shrimp, allow less cooking time if they are already cooked.
- Serve with rice, if desired.