Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I was introduced to gravy done this way in the early 60's. As my husband enjoys doing the complete dinner every xmas, I have not had the opertunity to do this in the past 34 years or so... This year, we are doing a rotisserie turkey which does not produce drippings for gravy....I precooked extra turkey pieces in advance and saved the drippings.
- 3⁄4 cup dripping, from roaster
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups water
- liquid gravy browner, as needed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup broccoli
- 1 (284 ml) can mushrooms, sliced undrained
- Put drippings into a heavy sauce pan.
- Mix flour and some water to make a paste.
- Gradually stir in remaining water.
- Add spices and mix well.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper and broccoli,and mushrooms.
- Heat and stir until it thickens and veggies are cooked.
- NOTE: Can also be done in microwave in microwavable dish -- Could also be done for Chicken, Beef or Pork.