1/3 Photos of Turkey Giblet Gravy
3 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 15 mins
Being so close to Canadian Thanksgiving, I thought this recipe might be handy. It is traditional in our family and served quite thick to pour over mashed potatoes. Left over gravy can be used up in a turkey casserole. We usually make a turkey shepherd's pie which can be frozen and add the mashed potatoes when defrosted and cooked.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove giblets from bird.
- 2Place in saucepan.
- 3Add salt and pepper, sage, celery and onion.
- 4Cover with water.
- 5Bring to boil.
- 6Simmer covered for 2 or 3 hours while turkey cooks.
- 7When the meat starts to fall away from the neck bones, strain liquid into a blender.
- 8Chop liver and gizzard and add to blender.
- 9Pick meat from neck bones and add to blender.
- 10Puree off and on until liquefied.
- 11Add flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- 12Blend off and on a few times until flour is incorporated.
- 13After turkey has been removed from roaster.
- 14Pour fat off, leaving brown bits and juice and bits of stuffing or meat stuck to pan, but remove any skin stuck.
- 15Whisk as much "stuck stuff" up that you can.
- 16Pour contents of blender in roaster, whisking as you pour, if too thick add a little water and continue whisking and adding water until reaching consistency you want.
- 17Don't add too much water at once.
- 18Place roaster in 450-500 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- 19Add more water and whisk if necessary, just before serving, but be sure it is bubbling hot.
- 20Should be fairly thick.
- 21Pour into gravy boat and serve hot.
- 22Should be the last thing put on the table so that it is very hot.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Giblet Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 37.7
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 13.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 1.6 g