Recipe by sarahsnyder1025_12871405
I love enchiladas, but I don't like the grease and excess fat when using ground beef. Nor does the fam like corn tortillas. So I swapped the beef for turkey, the corn tortillas for whole wheat tortillas and the sour cream to low fat sour cream. There is so much flavor in these, you won't miss the fat!
Top Review by Outta Here
Very tasty. I don't like all of the salt in the dry spice mixes, so I subbed recipe #457377 for the mix and tomato sauce. I also used spinach tortillas. Couldn't find the multi-grain. Made for Spring 2014 PAC.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package dry enchilada mix
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 8 multi-grain tortillas (I get the soft taco size, makes for really full enchiladas)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Brown ground turkey, season with salt and pepper.
- While turkey cooks, prepare the enchilada sauce by combining the spice package with 1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce and 1 1/2 cups water.
- Bring sauce to a simmer and allow to thicken.
- Spray a 3 qt casserole dish with non-stick spray and line the bottom with a little bit of the enchilada sauce.
- To assemble the enchiladas, in each tortilla you will place 1 1/2 teaspoons of low fat sour cream, and about 1 tablespoons cheddar cheese with 1/4 cup of the turkey. Roll tightly and place seam side down into the casserole.
- Cover enchiladas with remaining sauce and cheddar cheese.
- Cover casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes, the last 15 min take the foil off to allow the cheese to melt.
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream and rice.