Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I have cooked for years for my boys and covered dish events - it usually gets thumbs up from everybody. Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I got it. The cilantro makes the sauce!
- 10 -12 flour tortillas
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Wrap tortillas in foil and heat at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- For sauce:.
- Combine undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, green pepper, onions, cilantro and spices.
- Bring to boil, then decrease heat and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 sauce, turkey, cream cheese, and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese in bowl.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of turkey mixture onto each tortilla, roll and place in dish.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Pour remaining sauce over the partially baked enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees, uncovered, or until sauce is hot.
I have to admit I was kinda nervouse using raw meat in the filling but this cooked up just fine. My boys liked the spiciness of it (not too much) and I am sure you can add jalapenos to spice it up more. Good basic enchiladas recipe that I will use again. Made for PAC 2008.