Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A quick healthy recipe I whipped up one night. My meat and potatoes husband really enjoyed it (unlike many of my other experiments). Adjust the spicyness to your liking, I used the following measurements and hot Enchilada Sauce, and I thought it was pretty spicy (he still put hot salsa on the top)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 1⁄4 cups cheddar cheese, Grated (or mexican blend)
- 8 flour tortillas
- 7 ounces diced green chilies (drained)
- 32 ounces enchilada sauce (Hot or Mild)
- 1 red pepper
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375 and Spray 13x9 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Dice red pepper and onion. Brown the turkey, drain of any fat if necessary. Add red pepper and onion, saute about 2 minutes. Add green chili's and spices and about 1/3 of cup of the enchilada sauce - enough to coat the mixture, but not to make it very saucy.
- For each tortilla shell, add in the following order: 1/8 cup cheese, about 1/2 cup turkey mixture, and 1/4 cup rice. Roll up with ends sealed and place seam side down in baking pan. Repeat for remaining shells and mix. Depending on your techinique and amount of stuffing - you many find another pan necessary - which will freeze well for another meal.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the stuffed enchilada's in pan. Top with remaining cheese. Bake in oven until cheese is melted and bubbly. If turkey mix and rice are still hot when placed in oven, this will be about 20 minutes, 40 if it has been refrigerated.
I loved these enchiladas! Instead of rice, I use black beans. To make it spicier, add jalenpenos instead of the green chilies. Thanks for sharing!!
This was great... however I did change a few things. I used shredded turkey, not ground. I used a roasted poblano instead of green chilies and forgot to add rice. I used low-carb corn tortillas and shredded cheese (mex blend). Thanks so much for this new add to our dinners!