Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
The turkey can be replaced with chicken pieces if desired, adjust cooking time. If you like some heat add in some Tabasco sauce to taste. This recipe takes a bit of cooking time, but well worth the wait! You can add in a can of sliced or whole drained mushrooms too!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 4 -5 turkey drumsticks
- seasoning salt
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (optional)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes (or use powdered bouillon in place of cubes, or 1 cup chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 large potatoes, peeled, semi-cooked and quartered (cook the potatoes only until almost tender, as they will cook more in the oven)
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2inch slices (or 1-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325 degrees In a large skillet, heat oil with 3 tablespoons butter.
- Season the drumsticks with seasoning salt (or white salt) and pepper.
- Brown the turkey drumsticks, then transfer to a 3-qt Dutch oven.
- Top drumsticks with the sliced onions and minced garlic (if using).
- In the same skillet, heat the tomatoes, with the bouillon cubes and the seasonings, until bouillon cubes are dissolved; pour mixture over the turkey and the onion. Cover, and bake for about 2 hours, basting occasionally with juices (it might take longer than 2 hours to cook the turkey legs, depending on the size).
- Add the potatoes and sliced zucchini; cover and bake 20-25 minutes longer, or until veggies are desired tenderness.
- Transfer the turkey and veggies to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Combine the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water until smooth; stir into the tomato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered for 10-15 mins, or until slightly thickened Pour over the turkey and the veggies.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired.