Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Tender Turkey full of flavor. This is all made on the grill. This is bringing a fall/winter dish into the summer outdoors! Thanksgiving in July!
- 2 -3 lbs turkey drumsticks (3 legs)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sumac or 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme leave
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon lovage
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes, sliced
- 2 onions, peeled and 1/4
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups stock
- 4 leaves fresh lovage
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Mix the marinade ingredients together and message into turkey placing some under the skin. Marinade overnight.
- Remove form refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
- Meanwhile gather braising ingredients.
- Preheat heat grill to medium high.
- Sear legs to brown on all sides.
- Meanwhile in a heavy dutch oven on grill over medium high heat melt butter.
- Add onions, potatoes, garlic and salt and pepper cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add remaining braising ingredients and bring to a boil.
- As legs brown remove from flame and place in pot. Nestling into the liquid. Cover and place over indirect heat. Simmer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Till fork tender. Times depends on how hot your grill gets.
- Mix glaze ingredients together.
- Remove legs and sweet potato slices and place on a oiled grill over direct heat.
- Brush glaze over legs and the turkey flipping when charred. And brushing again with glaze.
- Strain broth and save to use for a later use. It is rich and not to be tossed.
- Serve turkey and sweet potatoes with the onions, cranberries.