Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
This recipe comes from the book, 'The Splendid Spoonful', by Barbara Lauterbach. Also Heavy Cream, is Whipping Cream to those of us this side of the pond.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup butternut squash (cooked and pureed)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (sprinkled)
- Place the oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 325°F Butter or spray the ramekins.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cream, milk, syrup and pureed squash.
- Heat just until barely simmering.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Pour the squash mixture very slowly into the yolks, whisking constantly. Pour the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a large measuring cup, pressing the liquid out of the solid.
- Place the prepared ramekins in a pan with high sides.
- Pour the strained mixture into the ramekins.
- Set the pan on the oven rack.
- Carefully add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake the custards for 35-40 minutes, or until set and a knife inserted near the edge comes out clean.
- Serve the custards immediately, or hold, covered for up to 30 minutes.