Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Prevention Magazine. These are lighter than many, because they are broiled rather than fried. Perfect for those Turkey Day leftovers.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1⁄2 cups finely chopped cooked turkey, about 12 ozs
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 cup lingonberry jam or 1 cup cranberry sauce
- Heat oil and butter in saucepan over medium heat. AAdd shallot and cook for two minutes.
- Add the flour and whisk into the fat for two minutes.
- Gradually pour in the buttermilk, lemon juice, and thyme, whisking until it's well combined and thickened, about one minute.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the turkey.
- With wet hands, shape mixture into 18 ovals, about 1 tbl each, then coat in the bread crumbs.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Broil the croquettes on an oiled baking sheet (I line with foil to make cleanup easier) about 6 inches from the heat, turning until golden brown, about five minutes.
- Serve with the jam/sauce.