Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a great recipe I got from a Betty Crocker magazine. I tweaked it a little, trying to lower the fat & calorie content. Its VERY easy to throw together, and the slow cooker does all the hard work.
- 1⁄4 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mushroom
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked couscous
- 2 bell peppers
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Wash 2 bell peppers, and cut tops off.
- Clean out seeds, and set aside.
- Brown ground turkey in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add onion, mushroom& garlic, and cook until tender.
- Add tomato sauce, salt, red pepper& uncooked couscous.
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly.
- Pour ¼ cup of water into the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Stuff peppers with the mixture, and set peppers upright in the slow cooker.
- Set slow cooker to 4-6 hours.
- Very easy, tasty, and not too high in fat& calories.
This recipe is SO easy! Here were my modifications: I omitted the mushrooms, I used garlic powder and onion powder instead of garlic and onion. I added some shredded cheddar on top for the last 10 minutes or so of cooking. Was I supposed to cook it on HIGH or LOW? I did HIGH for about 3 hours and the peppers were extra tender. The cheese makes this recipe much better. Thanks for sharing. Questions: Isn't it bad to cook in a crockpot that is less than like half full of liquid? I think your owner's info for your crockpot would tell you that, but what do I know. It works.