Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love this chili, and the corn cake toppers are perfect with it! The muffin mix, egg and milk amounts are from a box of Jiffy mix; you should adjust these amounts to whatever brand you're using. Adapted from Rachael Ray.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs ground turkey breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup mexican beer
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) canchopped stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy Mix)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat deep skillet or wide pot over medium high heat; add oil and turkey.
- Crumble meat as it cooks, 3 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic, chili powder, and chipotle; cook another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Add beer and cook another minute, stirring to loosen any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, and beans and bring to a bubble.
- Reduce heat and simmer at least 10 minutes, or until you're ready to eat!
- Heat a nonstick griddle pan over medium high heat.
- Mix muffin mix, egg, and milk together to make a batter; add cheese to batter and mix well.
- Rub grill with butter.
- Ladle the batter to make 3-inch cheese and corn cakes.
- Cook 3 minutes on each side, until golden. Transfer them to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Serve bowls of chili with cheese-corn toppers -- like a spicy, corn topped chili pot pie.
I didn't give a star rating for this because the method I used was different than the instructions listed here. I proceeded as normal for steps 1 through 5, then I placed the tomatoes, black beans, and chipotle chile in the blender and pureed it. It gave the chili a thicker consistency, and we thought it was really delicious this way. Also, we skipped the corn cake toppers. Thanks for posting!