1/1 Photo of Turkey Chili With White Beans
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I was never much of a fan of the traditional hamburger and kidney bean chilis. Then I found this recipe and this chili is now the only one I make. It was originally from Bon Appetit but I've modified it to our tastes. I would never have thought that cocoa powder or cinnamon would go into a Chili recipe but I think that's what makes this chili so good. This chili can be prepared ahead of time and reheated in the microwave. And like most chilis tastes better once the flavors have a chance to blend.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lb ground turkey (I like dark meat)
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (28 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans small white beans, rinsed & drained
- 1Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- 2Add onions and sauté until light brown and tender.
- 3Add oregano and cumin- stir 1 minute.
- 4Increase heat to medium-high.
- 5Add turkey and stir until no longer pink, being sure to break up meat while stirring.
- 6Stir in chili powder, bay leaves, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon.
- 7Add tomatoes with their juices.
- 8Mix in stock and tomato sauce.
- 9Bring to a boil.
- 10Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 11Stir occasionally.
- 12Add beans to chili and simmer until flavors blend, about another 10 minutes longer.
- 13Discard bay leaves.
- 14Ready to serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Chili With White Beans
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.5
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 62.1 mg
- Sodium 458.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 28.4 g