Chef Small's Note:
Al Yeganeh, from Soup Kitchen International gave out his recipe in New York Magazine, 10/28/96. I substituted the Turkey for Itlalian sausage and it made an even better soup for my taste. This is the orignal recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE STOCK
6 cups turkey stock
- 1 small fresh whole turkey
- 1 large onion, cut in half
- 2 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
FOR THE SOUP
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large red onions, finely diced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 medium cooked potatoes, peeled and mashed slightly
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons chipotle chile puree
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon spanish paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups peeled and diced tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 cups finely diced cooked turkey (see above)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh mustard greens
- 1 cup corn
- 1 teaspoon wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1TO PREPARE THE STOCK:.
- 2Place all ingredients for the stock in stockpot and fill with cold water until turkey is just covered. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until turkey is cooked. Remove turkey. When cool enough to handle, debone, and return bones to stockpot, reserving meat. Discard skin. Cover and continue cooking for another 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Strain. Set aside.
- 3TO PREPARE THE SOUP:.
- 4Heat oil in a soup pot. Add onions and garlic, sauteing until onions are translucent.
- 5Add celery, carrot, and potatoes. Sweat over medium heat for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add chili powder, chipotle, cumin, paprika, and cinnamon, cooking over low heat for 10 minutes and stirring occasionally.
- 7Add tomatoes, 6 cups stock, beans, peppers, wine and cilantro, simmering for 35 to 40 minutes.
- 8Add turkey, mustard greens, corn and vinegar. Cook for 15 minutes.
- 9Season to taste with salt, pepper, Tabasco, and lemon. Serve with 1 or 2 garnishes.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Chili Soup
Serving Size: 1 (1479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2737.2
- Calories from Fat 1084
- Total Fat 120.5 g
- Saturated Fat 32.1 g
- Cholesterol 925.3 mg
- Sodium 2004.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.2 g
- Sugars 23.0 g
- Protein 302.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: