Recipe by dawnie2u
After an evening of Cajun-Style BBQ Shrimp and Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, I felt like I needed to unclog my arteries a bit and came up with this delicious recipe for chili. I know the ingredients sound like an odd combination, but it is delicious and healthy for you. You can make this big batch and freeze some for later.
Top Review by lisa.clairemont
This was wonderful. My DH who DOES NIT LIKE BEANS loved it so much he took leftovers to work this morning. The only thing I omitted was the cilantro. Just because I didn't have any. Great job.
- 1 lb 93% ground turkey, browned and drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 3 3⁄4 ounces taco seasoning mix
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces black beans, canned, drained
- 16 ounces kidney beans, canned, drained
- 1 large yellow squash, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 8 cups water (or more)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground turkey and drain. Add the taco seasonings, garlic salt and stir until spices are fragrant.
- Add celery and onions and cook until they are softened.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer.
- Cook until the lentils and barley are tender, about an hour or so.
- You may want to add more water so that the chili is the consistency you like.
- This freezes very well.
- One serving is 1 cup.