Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
After an evening of Cajun-Style BBQ Shrimp and Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, I felt like I needed to unclog my arteries a bit and came up with this delicious recipe for chili. I know the ingredients sound like an odd combination, but it is delicious and healthy for you. You can make this big batch and freeze some for later.
- 1 lb 93% ground turkey, browned and drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 3 3⁄4 ounces taco seasoning mix
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces black beans, canned, drained
- 16 ounces kidney beans, canned, drained
- 1 large yellow squash, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 8 cups water (or more)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Brown the ground turkey and drain. Add the taco seasonings, garlic salt and stir until spices are fragrant.
- Add celery and onions and cook until they are softened.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer.
- Cook until the lentils and barley are tender, about an hour or so.
- You may want to add more water so that the chili is the consistency you like.
- This freezes very well.
- One serving is 1 cup.
This was wonderful. My DH who DOES NIT LIKE BEANS loved it so much he took leftovers to work this morning. The only thing I omitted was the cilantro. Just because I didn't have any. Great job.
I liked this a lot, it's good chili, and I like the lentils and barley in it! The reason I'm giving it four stars instead of five is the garlic salt. There's a fine line between just salty enough and too salty, and I feel like one tablespoon of garlic salt kicked this chili over that line. I am going to make it again, but I think that next time, I'll just add some minced garlic and skip the garlic salt. (also, step 2 says to add celery and onions, but celery isn't in the ingredient list...)