Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
Tasty, spicy and extremely lean and low fat!
- 3 red onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 32 ounces turkey breast, ground
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn, rinsed
- 2 (19 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can refried beans
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 2 large dried ancho chiles, peppers reconstituted in
- 1⁄2 cup hot water, pureed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Separately sauté vegetable in fry pan, using light sprays/mist of oil.
- Remove and set aside Brown turkey in lightly misted fry pan.
- Transfer to stockpot.
- Add tomatoes and refried beans to turkey.
- Season with spices and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, covered.
- Add sautéed vegetables.
- Cook, covered for an additional 45 minutes.
- Add rinsed beans and corn and simmer, covered for an additional 1/2 hour.