Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 1 cup black beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 turkey breast, skinned (half breast)
- 4 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- sour cream or chopped ripe avocado
- Soak the beans overnight in water to cover generously.
- Drain and rinse briefly.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottom pot over medium high heat.
- When hot, brown the turkey breast well on all sides.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery, and green pepper.
- Saute, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, cayenne, and the turkey breast.
- Heat until the pot starts bubbling, then reduce heat to a slow simmer, partially cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hour.
- Stir occasionally, watching carefully that the bottom does not start to stick.
- Remove the turkey breast, remove the bone, and coarsely shred the meat with two forks (hold the meat with one fork, tear with the grain with the other.) Return the meat to the pot.
- Heat a heavy bottom skillet over low heat.
- Add the whole cumin seed and toast 2 to 3 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until lightly brown and aromatic.
- Remove from heat.
- Coarsely crush the cumin in a mortar and pestle or with a rolling pin.
- Add to the pot.
- Cook an additional one hour, or until the beans are tender.
- For the traditional approach, top with the cheese and sour cream and avocado.