Recipe by Cookie16
This is based on Chili con Carne recipe in "The New York Times Cookbook" by Craig Claiborne. I've subbed turkey for the beef and tweaked it a bit. You can add up to 2 cans of red or even black beans. You can use more cayenne if you like more heat. Only one big pot needed. This freezes well so try doubling it (in a big pot).
Top Review by dan kasper
this was awesome. never made turkey chilli before and i couldn't tell the difference. and my wife doesn't like beans so she was able to just pick the beans out... will with out a doubt make this my chilli recipe.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) canground tomatoes
- 1 small green pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add onion and garlic; saute until golden brown.
- Add the turkey and brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the beans.
- Stir to mix and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered until the sauce is as thick as desired.
- This could be an hour or so.
- Add the beans and heat through.