Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This was a recipe that my mom used. Simple and flavorful. Easy to cut in half or double, depending on the size of bird you need to stuff.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup onion, minced
- 1 red apple, chopped with skin on
- 2 tablespoons celery
- 9 cups day old bread
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, add a little at a time
- Fry the onion, apple and celery in the butter until the onion is tender. Use the pan that you plan on cooking your bird in This will leave the seasoning all in the pan for when you make your gravy.
- Add in the bread crumbs, parsley, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper and mix well. I find using my hands works well, just be careful not to burn yourself!
- I usually don't add any water. It makes a difference on how moist your bread is that you are using. The bread mixture should stay in a loose ball when pressed together. I find too much water makes the stuffing too mushy. This is to your own liking.
- Fill the bird's cavity with the stuffing so it is packed fairly tight.
- If there is any leftover stuffing that you can't fit in the cavity, I put it in a casserole dish with the giblets on top and cover. Add to the oven the last 1/2 hour or so. You may want to add a bit of water to this.
- Cook your bird as normal and enjoy the aromas that this stuffing gives your home.