So why not turkey cakes? These seemed like a fun way to use up some leftover turkey. They are really verey good - how can they be bad? Cuisine At Home Newsletter 11/27/2008 edition of eRecipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE CAKES
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 -3 pinches crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
FOR THE RELISH
- 1PREPARE THE CAKES:.
- 2Saute onion and celery for the cakes in 2 tablespoons butter & crushed red pepper flakes over medium-high heat until soft.
- 3Transfer mixture to a large bowl; let cool slightly.
- 4Add turkey, bread crumbs, parsley, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper; fold in eggs.
- 5Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and dust with flour.
- 6To form cakes, lightly pack mixture into a 1/3-cup measure, then press into 3-inch cakes on prepared baking sheet.
- 7Chill at least 15 minutes (make sauce while cakes chill); dust tops of cakes with flour.
- 8PREPARE THE RELISH:.
- 9Saute apple and red onion for the relish in 1 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- 10Cook until apples and onions are soft, then deglaze skillet with cider and wine.
- 11Simmer until liquid is nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- 12Stir in cranberries, sage, remaining 1 tablespoons butter, and salt to taste.
- 13Keep relish warm.
- 14FRYING TURKEY CAKES:.
- 15Fry cakes in two batches in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat using 2 tablespoons vegetable oil per batch.
- 16Cook until golden, about 4 minutes.
- 17Flip turkey cakes and fry 1–2 more minutes.
- 18Serve with warm relish & enjoy!
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Cakes With Apple Relish
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 507.7
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 236.1 mg
- Sodium 869.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 26.6 g