Recipe by Juenessa
Sometimes turkey can be a bit dry because of its low-fat content. In this recipe, the sauteed onion and red pepper in the burger and the salsa on top of the burger make up for any dryness in the turkey. This low-fat recipe is really delicious and satisfying.
Top Review by AshK
This is an excellent flavor combination. My husband gave it his "make this one again" seal of approval. I added some yellow bell pepper to the corn salsa as well as teh burgers, I didn't have red on hand. Otherwise I followed the recipe to the letter and everyone was thrilled. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!
- 12 cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup cooked fresh corn or 1⁄2 cup thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- additional kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lb ground turkey
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the salsa:
- Toss the tomatoes with the salt and drain in a colander for 15 minutes.
- Combine the tomatoes, corn, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, and olive oil in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- To make the burgers:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and red pepper and cook, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Combine the onion, pepper, Creole spice mix, salt, and turkey in a large bowl.
- Season with pepper.
- Mix well and form into 4 large patties.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Place the burgers in the skillet and cook until well browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to the oven and cook until firm to the touch, about 6 minutes.
- Serve topped with the salsa.