Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
In the summer we like grilled turkey burgers and this tangy chutney pairs up perfectly with them. Who can resist a tasty grilled burger topped with grilled onions and this delicious relish!
FOR THE BURGERS
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch paprika
FOR THE CHUTNEY
- 2 lbs fresh rhubarb, trimmed,peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 cup sour cherry, pitted
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup minced red onion
- 3⁄4 cup celery, sliced 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper (no seeds)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 4 hamburger buns
- Make the chutney earlier in the day or the day before.
- Place the rhubarb in a colander over a bowl and sprinkle with the sugar.
- let the rhubarb macerate and drain for 1/2 hour.
- In a skillet cook the honey, cherries, vinegar, wine, mustard seeds, salt and spices over medium heat until syrupy.
- Stir in the onion and cook for 2 minutes to soften.
- Add the rhubarb and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to cook evenly.
- when done it should be tender, but still have some texture.
- Don't over cook.
- Add the orange zest and jalapeno pepper, and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the lime juice, remove from the pan and let cool.
- Serve either at room temperature or chilled.
- To grill the onions, cut the onion into 4 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Brush with oil and season with salt and paprika.
- Grill over direct medium heat until tender, 8 to 12 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- Remove from grill and keep warm.
- For the burgers, in a medium bowl, combine all burger ingredients and mix well.
- Form into four patties, each about 3/4 inch thick.
- Grill over direct medium heat until juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 170*F, 10 to 12 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- Place burgers on buns (we like the buns toasted), top with the grilled onions and the Rhubarb and Cherry Chutney.
These were excellent, moist and with a nice flavour and texture. Loves the chutney. The jalepeno gives it a real zing. I will make these often. Also great instructions, very easy to follow. This one is a winner to me!