Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from Bon Appetit.
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chile
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices red onions
- 8 slices plum tomatoes
- 2 bunches arugula (about 1 ounce)
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in small bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper. (Sauce can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.).
- Prepare barbecue (medium heat).
- Form ground turkey into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill burgers until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Grill buns until just toasted.
- Spread 1 tablespoon sauce on bottom half of each bun.
- Top each with 1 burger, then 1 more tablespoon sauce.
- Top each with 1 onion slice, 2 tomato slices, then 1/2 bunch arugula.
- Cover with bun tops.
- Serve, passing remaining chipotle tartar sauce separately.
The capers really make this special, and the mayo has a nice kick to it. I halved the mayo ingredients, with the exception of the capers. We sliced caper berries, about four times what the recipe called for, but I wouldn't use less - it's the best part and makes the burgers unique!