1/3 Photos of Turkey Burger Extraordinaire!
Mama's Kitchen (Hope)'s Note:
Delicious yet simple recipe for a turkey burger with tons of flavor, moisture and texture. The bit of wine that's added to the pan in the last minutes of cooking helps keep the meat moist and creates an optional light sauce. Posted in the Washington Post.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground turkey (breast or thigh, ground chicken is fine too) or 1 lb turkey thighs (ground chicken is fine too)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine, such as syrah
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon hot chili sauce, such as sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon marjoram, finely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place rack in the middle of the oven; .
- 2Combine the ground turkey, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon of the wine, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, chili sauce, if desired, mustard and marjoram. Use your hands to mix just until the ingredients are incorporated. (Avoid over mixing, which will toughen the burgers.).
- 3Shape into 4 equal-size burgers, about 1 inch thick. Season them on both sides with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4In a large, oven proof skillet over medium-high heat, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil until it simmers.
- 5Add the burger and sear, undisturbed, for 2 to 4 minutes, until a crust has formed on the bottom.
- 6Carefully turn the burgers over and sear on the second side, 2 to 4 minutes. (They will not be cooked through).
- 7Add the remaining wine to the pan and transfer the skillet to the oven.
- 8Roast for about 10 minutes, or just until the center of the burgers registers 165 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- 9Check the temperature early and often to avoid overcooking. The burgers should be just firm, but not hard to the touch, when they're done.
- 10Serve warm, with a little of the wine from the pan, if desired.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Burger Extraordinaire!
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.2
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 78.3 mg
- Sodium 301.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 22.5 g