Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a fantastic way to make your turkey have GREAT flavor. We use it every Thanksgiving and people simply rave over the wonderful flavor our turkey has.
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 gallon vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 1⁄2 tablespoon allspice berry
- 1⁄2 tablespoon candied ginger
- 1 gallon ice water
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup water
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- canola oil
- In a large stock pot, combine the koshier salt, brown sugar, vegetable stock, peppercorns, Allspice, and ginger.
- Boil to dissolve the sugar, then chill the broth mixture.
- The night before cooking your bird, place the broth mixture in a 5 gallon bucket. Add the ice water. Lower your turkey into the broth mixture. Remove bird in the morning and discard the brine.
- Combine 1 cup water, apples, onion and cinnamon stick in a bowl and microwave for 5 minutes. Place inside the turkey. Add the rosemary and sage leaves as well.
- Coat the turkey with a thin layer of canola oil.
- Cook bird at 500 degrees for 30 minutes, then lower the temp to 350 for the remaining time recommended for your bird size. When meat temperature reaches 161, remove from heat and let rest for 15 minutes before cutting.