Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 hrs
I saw this recipe when I was watching Tyler Florence on the tv network. I tried it last weekend and it was perfect. Will make any thanksgiving turkey moist and flavorful! Cooking time is for marinating time.
- 3 gallons water
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 head garlic (chopped in half)
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Mix all ingredients in a large 20 gallon stock pot or bucket and place turkey carefully in the brine. Allow to marinate for at least 12 hours or overnight.
- Bake, Broil, or Fry your turkey as normal and Enjoy!
- I rub my turkey with cajun seasoning after taking it out of the brine and then fry it. Wonderful flavor!
The best turkey I have ever eaten. Last year I used 2 cups of salt and it was a little too salty. This year I cut out 1/2 cup salt, added an extra head of garlic, parsley, sage, white wine and what ever water needed to cover bird. It brined for 24 hours and then we smoked it (12 pound bird) in a smoker for 4 1/2 hours. It was fabulous. Just finished it. My husband said that he has never eaten anything like it before.
This makes the best turkey...was skeptic at first. A couple of years ago, I bit the bullet and tried it. Have been using this recipe every year since. Thanks for posting.