Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Make sure to purchase a fresh turkey breast for this, the stuffing may be prepared hours or even a day in advance and any remaining stuffing can be baked separately in a dish (see directions).
Top Review by A la Carte
This was sooooo good Kittencal! I'm so glad I found this recipe - it was a huge hit with our family and friends! Everyone was raving. And you're right, the stuffing is wonderful, I will make it again! (I did add some fresh garlic.) I had 3 x 4lb turkey breasts, which cooked to 165f and then tented with foil for about 25 minutes - led to very moist but not undercooked turkey! I seasoned the turkey skin with salt and pepper and some dried sage too. Really, really good! Thank you!
- 1 large turkey breast (preferably bone-in about 6-7 pounds)
- 396.89-425.24 g pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 532.32 ml coarse dry breadcrumbs (do not use fine bread crumbs)
- 177.44 ml pecans, chopped
- 177.44-236.59 ml dried apricot, chopped
- 59.14 ml melted butter
- 78.07 ml chicken broth
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1.23 ml dried sage (crush between fingers, can use more to taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare and butter a casserole dish just large enough to hold the breast.
- Crumble the sausage slightly,and brown in a skillet over medium heat with onion; drain any fat then place in a bowl.
- Combine the pork sausage with next 8 ingredients, then season with salt and pepper to taste; mix well to combine.
- Gently loosen the skin from turkey in the neck area to make a large "pocket" to stuff.
- Stuff in as much stuffing as you can with sausage mixture thensecure with toothpicks.
- Place the remaining sausage (if any) into a small baking dish, and during the last 30 minutes of the turkey breast baking time, bake the remaining stuffing for about 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
- To cook the turkey breast: place the breast skin-side up on a rack in roasting pan.
- Brush with melted butter, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reaches 170 degrees F (I like to remove a little sooner as the temperature will rise after removing from the oven).
- Let stand for 15-20 minutes before slicing.