Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Have the butcher bone the turkey breast, leaving the breast halves attached; then just slice at the table before serving. From Bon Appetit November 2002.
- 12 green onions
- 3⁄4 lb italian sweet sausage, casings removed
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 lbs boneless whole turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄4 cups about low sodium chicken broth
- Finely chop white part of onions.
- Place green parts side by side on 15x10x1-inch heavy rimmed baking sheet to form a mat.
- Mix chopped onions, sausage, raisins, 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl.
- Place turkey on work surface, skin side down.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spoon sausage mixture in row between breast halves.
- Starting at 1 long side, roll up turkey breast to enclose filling.
- Tie with kitchen string at 1-inch intervals to hold shape.
- Place turkey atop onion mat. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Brush oil all over turkey.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and 2 teaspoons fennel.
- Roast until thermometer inserted into filling registers 155°F, basting turkey every 15 minutes with 1/4 cup broth and adding more broth to pan if drippings burn, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Transfer to platter; let stand 5 minutes.
- Set baking sheet with onions atop 2 burners.
- Add 1 cup broth to baking sheet.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat, scraping up browned bits.
- Boil 2 minutes.
- Strain pan juices into medium bowl; discard solids.
- Serve turkey with pan juices.