8 hrs 10 mins
7 hrs 40 mins
America's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped medium
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped medium
- 1 celery rib, chopped medium
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (6 -7 lb) whole bone-in skin-on turkey breast, trimmed
- 1Melt the butter in a large skillet over med-high heat.
- 2Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic; cook until onion is softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- 3Stir in flour and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- 4Stir in 1 cup broth, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.
- 5Stir remaining cup of broth, water, wine, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- 6Season turkey with salt and pepper and place, skin side up, into slow cooker.
- 7Cover and cook until turkey reaches 165 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 5-7 hours.
- 8Transfer turkey to cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes.
- 9Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- 10Strain braising liquid into saucepan, discarding solids, and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- 11Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 12Carve turkey and serve with gravy.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Breast and Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 625.7
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 232.5 mg
- Sodium 231.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 76.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs