Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook7 hrs 40 mins
America's Test Kitchen
Make and share this Turkey Breast and Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped medium
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped medium
- 1 celery rib, chopped medium
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (6 -7 lb) whole bone-in skin-on turkey breast, trimmed
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over med-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic; cook until onion is softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup broth, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir remaining cup of broth, water, wine, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- Season turkey with salt and pepper and place, skin side up, into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until turkey reaches 165 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 5-7 hours.
- Transfer turkey to cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Strain braising liquid into saucepan, discarding solids, and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Carve turkey and serve with gravy.