Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Copyright 2013 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small stalk celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- two 28-ounce cans whole tomato
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch crushed fennel seed
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large electric skillet. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft but not brown, about 8 minutes. Add the turkey, tomato paste, salt and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring, until the mixture turns dark red, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, breaking the tomatoes into bite-size pieces with the side of a spoon.
- Add the bay leaf and fennel seeds. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Discard the bay leaf, season with salt and serve over pasta.