Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 30 mins
This is just awesome. We even eat this on its own, without any pasta, sometimes. It's a hearty Italian chili that way and lip-smacking delicious. It's wonderful over penne, rotini, or good ol' p-sketti ;-) if you're a traditionalist! Any way you serve it, you'll love it. We got ours from an Emeril recipe that we tweaked a little--PORK FAT RULES! LOL!
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 1⁄2 cups onions, diced finely
- 1 cup celery, diced finely (can substitute green pepper)
- 1 cup carrot, diced finely
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 (10 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 teaspoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
Essence (use 1 tablespoon)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- In a large stockpot, heat bacon drippings over medium heat. Saute onions until soft. Add celery, carrots and garlic. Cook about 3 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add seasonings.
- Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT for milk.
- Bring to a slight boil over med-high heat and then lower to simmer (I put it on low). Cook uncovered 2-2 1/2 hours.
- Just before serving, add milk and stir well.