A chef made this at a cooking class in the upstairs room at the supermarket in town. When I looked over the recipe, I thought "I'm not going to like this". When I watched the prep & the end result, I thought "I'm not going to like this". She served it over a combination of white & brown rice with a side salad. Was I ever wrong. I liked it very much & I will be making it for my DH very soon!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, crushed
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat; add turkey, onion& garlic and cook, stirring to break up the lumps, for about 5- 7 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add seasonings, stir& cook for another 2 minutes.
- Drain off any excess fat.
- Add chilies, tomatoes & beans and combine thoroughly.
- Heat to boiling, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to low & simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice & remove from heat.
- Serve topped with green onions & cheddar cheese.