Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This came from a book called Great Recipes Collection--Chicken Dinners. I made this with cubed chicken instead of turkey. When I first tasted it, I thought it was too tomato-y, but it grows on you!! I omitted the beer because I didn't have any. I'd like to know if anyone likes it with the beer.
- 1 lb turkey breast tenderloins or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- In Dutch oven, cook meat in hot oil over medium heat till browned.
- With a slotted spoon, remove meat.
- In the pan drippings, cook sweet pepper, onion, and garlic for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain off fat.
- Return meat to pan.
- Add undrained tomatoes, drained beans, beer, vinegar, chili powder, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, bay leaf, salt, and black pepper.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Sprinkle cheese over each serving.