Recipe by Sackville
This is a comforting and healthy dish. You can also use the leftover veggies and some of their cooking water (from the initial stock stage) to make a quick and tasty pureed soup.
- 350 g dried haricot beans
- 2 small carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium red chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 350 g lean turkey meat, chopped
- 2 large sweet peppers
- 2 courgettes, finely diced
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- fresh basil leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight in plenty of cold water.
- Drain then put into a large pot and cover with fresh water.
- Add the carrots, half the onion and the bouquet garni.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes until the beans are tender.
- Drain, reserving the beans and 150ml or 1/4 pint of the cooking water.
- Discard the vegetables.
- Heat the oil in the pot and cook the rest of the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the chilli and garlic and cook for a further minute until softened.
- Add the turkey and fry for five minutes, then add the peppers and courgettes.
- Season well, cover and cook for five minutes until the vegetables are slightly softened.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add the beans and the reserved cooking liquid.
- Season again, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with basil leaves.