Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is quick and easy and tastes so good! Great comfort food that is good for you!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup fresh baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- taco seasoning mix (I use 7 tsp. of Taco Seasoning - Budget Friendly Seasoning for Tacos, Burritos..)
- 3 1⁄2 cups water or 3 1⁄2 cups broth
- 1 (28 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Spray Dutch oven (or pot) with nonstick cooking spray or oil. Add ground turkey, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, and 1 Tbls of the taco seasoning mix; cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in water or broth, tomatoes, and remaining taco seasoning mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add barley; simmer an additional 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Stir in oregano and serve with crusty Italian bread.