Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is a fabulous recipe, especially when made with my Rescued Turkey Stock (#24576). It also freezes very well.
- 14.79 ml canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, scraped and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 946.36 ml sliced button mushrooms
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 1419.54-1892.72 ml turkey broth (preferably Rescued Turkey Stock #24576)
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 59.14 ml barley
- 9.85 ml red wine vinegar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml freshly ground black pepper
- 473.18 ml chopped cooked turkey meat (make sure all bones are removed)
- In a large skillet, heat oil and saute onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms; sprinkle thyme on veggies and continue to saute until softened, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Pour turkey stock into a large pot (if you have less than 8 cups of stock, add water to make up difference) and whisk in the tomato paste; stir in sauteed veggies; turn heat to high.
- Stir in barley, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- When soup comes to a boil, turn heat down to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 1 hour, or until barley is tender.
- Stir in turkey meat and continue to simmer just until soup is heated through.
I used your Rescued Turkey Stock # 24576 and this was the best soup ever. The next day when the soup was a little thicker we had it over rice. Wonderful recipe
Excellent turkey soup. I cut back on the mushrooms a bit and added equivalent amounts of onions, carrot and celery - my kids aren't big mushroom fans. The barley gives it a wonderful wholesomeness. Thanks again Lennie for another great recipe.
Made this last weekend with using your stock. The only mistake I made was I had 4 cups of turkey left over and I used it all and it made to much meat. Loved the broth I did sub Balsamic vinegar as I didn't have red wine vingar. DH loved the soup too but said it needed a little more barley.