Recipe by Lennie
This is a fabulous recipe, especially when made with my Rescued Turkey Stock (#24576). It also freezes very well.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, scraped and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 -8 cups turkey broth (preferably Rescued Turkey Stock #24576)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey meat (make sure all bones are removed)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat oil and saute onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms; sprinkle thyme on veggies and continue to saute until softened, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Pour turkey stock into a large pot (if you have less than 8 cups of stock, add water to make up difference) and whisk in the tomato paste; stir in sauteed veggies; turn heat to high.
- Stir in barley, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- When soup comes to a boil, turn heat down to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 1 hour, or until barley is tender.
- Stir in turkey meat and continue to simmer just until soup is heated through.