Recipe by mollypaul
A flavorful main dish salad good for using up that little bit of extra leftover poultry. From the Barley Foods Council.
- 2 cups hot cooked pearl barley (cooking directions below)
- 4 -5 tablespoons prepared sesame oil salad dressing
- 3 1⁄2 cups torn fresh salad greens
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- toasted sliced almonds, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- To cook pearl barley: In medium saucepan with lid bring 3 cups water to a boil.
- Add 1 cup pearl barley; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Makes about 3 cups.
- (Place any extra cooked barley in an airtight container and refrigerate or freeze for up to a week. When ready to use, thaw and add to soups, stews, salads or casseroles for extra flavor and fiber.) To assemble salad: Drizzle salad dressing over hot cooked barley; toss gently to coat.
- Cover barley and refrigerate until cool.
- To assemble salad, drain mandarin oranges, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid.
- Combine mandarin oranges, 2 tablespoons reserved orange liquid, cooled barley, turkey, celery and green onions.
- Toss gently.
- Arrange salad greens on 4 dinner plates.
- Mound barley salad over greens.
- Sprinkle each serving with toasted sliced almonds, if desired.