1/2 Photos of Turkey Barley Goulash Casserole (Rice Cooker)
Healthy and easy rice cooker dish that you don't have to babysit, inspired by a Moosewood creation. This will be more like a casserole consistency than a stew, because the barley soaks up the cooking liquid. You can sub a can of diced tomatoes for the tomato paste and water. You may top with shredded cheddar cheese if you wish. This reheats wonderfully.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 3/4 cup barley
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons red wine (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika (optional)
- 1Set rice cooker to "Quick Cook", or if you don't have that setting just turn on the rice cooker. Toss in first five ingredients, closing cover in between chopping to keep the heat inside. Peek every few minutes and stir to break up turkey clumps, then close the cover again.
- 2When turkey is cooked, add rest of ingredients. If you don't have the final three spices, you can leave them out or substitute your own favorites.
- 3Close cover and set rice cooker to brown rice setting. If you don't have a brown rice setting, set it for white rice. When it finishes, check to ensure barley is cooked through. If barley is still too chewy, let it run another cycle. It should take about 40 minutes. If mixture is too dry, add a little more water.
- 4Top with cheddar or parmesan cheese if you wish.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Barley Goulash Casserole (Rice Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.9
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 89.5 mg
- Sodium 1340.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 26.6 g