Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is another major variation on Quaker's Chicken Barley Chili. I used Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies which added a real kick up in the taste. This recipe makes a lot and it keeps and reheats great.
- 3 (10 ounce) cans Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with peppers
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat free chicken broth (I like to use the reduced sodium)
- 1 cup barley (not quick cooking)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn, drained (or corn mixed with chopped peppers)
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- In a large saucepan, combine first 6 ingredients (tomatoes through cumin).
- Over high heat bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While barley cooks, brown ground turkey in a medium skillet with a little oil, set aside.
- After the 40 minutes, add beans, corn, and turkey; increase heat to high until chili comes to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- If upon standing the chili becomes too thick, add more chicken broth or water until chili is desired consistency.