1/2 Photos of Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
Found this recipe in a magazine years ago and have made it faithfully after Thanksgiving ever since. It is similar to a "cream of" soup and ever so delicious with a few simple spice modifications I have made.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1/3 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth (or broth from cooked down turkey carcass)
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk
- pepper, ground,to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/8 cup soy sauce, (see note)
- 1Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and mushrooms; cook 2 minutes, until onion is translucent.
- 3Add water and broth; stir in rice mix and seasoning packet; ground pepper, parsley, marjoram, thyme, and sage, bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes until rice is tender.
- 5Add sherry and boil 1 minute.
- 6Add turkey. (See NOTE)
- 7Reduce heat to low.
- 8Mix cream and egg yolk; stir in a few spoonfuls of soup.
- 9Add to soup in a slow steady stream, stirring constantly.
- 10Add soy sauce. Cook only until slightly thickened and hot; do not boil.
- 11NOTE: After rice cooks and turkey is added, add 3 more ladles of broth.
- 12(Note: This is my own personal preference and addition to the recipe to enhance the flavor of the end product).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.2
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 191.4 mg
- Sodium 1007.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 27.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
long grain and wild rice blend