Recipe by HisMonie
A great dish for leftover turkey! This makes leftover turkey as good as the first time around!! It is DH's favorite for after holiday cooking. Hoping you enjoy! :-)
Top Review by robbin.oakley
This is very good! But, I ended up having to add rice to it. It was very soupy. I had to cook it uncovered longer than suggested, just to get the mixture thicker. Next time I will increase the rice amount and cut back on the heavy cream and or broth. My husband loved the flavor.
- 1 cup wild rice, washed
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked turkey, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 cups turkey broth or 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or 2 tablespoons white wine or 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover rice with water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Let soak 1 hour, then drain.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in skillet.
- Add mushrooms and onion and saute over medium heat until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl combine rice, mushroom mixture and all remaining ingredients except butter.
- Turn into a buttered 2 quart casserole.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove the cover, dot with remaining butter and bake uncovered an additional 20 minutes.