Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I just couldn't face traditional turkey soup so I made this up and it was light and very good! I made turkey stock from the Thanksgiving day turkey and left over turkey, but that's not necessary.
- 8 cups turkey stock
- 2 cups cooked turkey, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (14 ounce) cans rotel
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 serrano chilies, sliced small
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large stockpot, combine stock, turkey, tomato sauce, rotel and tomatoes. Heat until simmering.
- Add chopped onion, serrano, cilantro, lime juice and all spices.
- Simmer for an hour until onion is tender.
- This was mildly spiced for us, but if you are sensitive to heat, elimiate the serrano and the rotel.