Recipe by dicentra
This is from my Food and Wine One Dish Meals cookbook. It’s Thanksgiving in a bowl! You could easily use leftover turkey and sweet potatoes in this. I bet it would freeze well.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 lb green beans, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb turkey cutlets, cut into 1 1/2 by 1/2 inch strips
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, melt the butter over moderately low heat. Add the onion and sage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, broth, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer half of the soup to a food process or blender and puree.
- Return the pureed soup to the pot and add the green beans, the remaining teaspoon salt and the pepper.
- Simmer until the beans are just tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the strips of turkey. Cook until the turkey is done, about 2 minutes.