Recipe by JanuaryBride
Perfect to use up that holiday turkey!!! A healthy recipe from Chef MD (John La Puma, MD). Recipe published as Diabetic friendly in Walgreen's Diabetes and You. States dietary exchanges are 1 starch, 2 vegetables, 2 lean meat and 2 fats. NOTE: I made this salad today and I recommend putting Greek or Italian seasoning on the tomatoes before cooking (delish) and the basil on top really makes the difference in this dish (otherwise it's just a salad).
- 8 medium plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- cooking spray
- salt (optional)
- black pepper
- 6 cups mixed salad greens (8 oz)
- 4 ounces deli smoked turkey breast (1 thick slice cut about 1/4 inch thick)
- 2 ounces sliced smoked provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Place tomatoes, cut side up, in a foil lined jelly roll pan.
- Coat lightly with cooking spray and season with salt/pepper if you like. Broil 3 inches from heat source 2-3 minutes, or until hot and beginning to brown (do not overcook or tomatoes will become mushy).
- In the meanwhile, arrange greens on four serving plates. Cut turkey and cheese into julinne strips and arrange in a circle fanned out around the greens.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil and garlic.
- Arrange warm tomatoes around the perimeter of the salad, drizzle dressing over the entire salad, sprinkle with basil and serve.