Prep 25 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Adapted from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two. Congee or jook is a staple in China. Instead of making a separate stock, just use a turkey wing or drumstick here to flavor the broth. This is a very bland dish so it is important to serve the condiments if you want more kick. I posted this originally for ZWT 4. Serve with bowls of condiments on the side--chopped cilantro, minced green onion, or peanuts. soy sauce, and any hot chili sauce.
- 2⁄3 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 12 -16 ounces turkey wings
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 inches piece peeled fresh ginger, one chunk
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- low sodium soy sauce, to taste
- sesame oil, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro or 1⁄4 cup parsley, for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, minced for garnish
- 1⁄3 cup peanuts, chopped or 1⁄3 cup cashews
- Put slow cooker liner into slow cooker.
- Place the rice, turkey wings, water, salt, ginger, carrots, celery, and mushrooms into the slow cooker.
- Stir well.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour, then reduce the temperature to LOW and cook for 6 to 8 hours, until creamy, thick, and translucent white in consistency.
- Remove and discard the ginger.
- Remove the turkey wing and place on a plate to cool for 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard the skin.
- Pick the meat off the bones and discard the bones; return the meat to the soup.
- Taste test; add soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Keep WARM until ready to serve, with bowls of cilantro, green onion, and peanuts on the side for garnish choices.
I was unable to purchase turkey wings, so I used 10 whole chicken wings. This was made with two tablespoons sesame oil, three tablespoons soy sauce, a 1 1/2-inch piece of ginger slivered, and to make sure it was not bland, I added 4 whole garlic cloves, and 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes!! I should have read about Jook before making it because I had not realized how soupy this would be, so I served this over additional fluffy rice, along with the cilantro, green onions, and peanuts! Next time I'll reduce the water by 2 cups! Made for the Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup tag game in Cooking with Friends!