Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I'm a soup lover and will be trying this as soon as I have left-over turkey. In the meantime, I'm posting this from Cooking Light's Nov. 08 issue. Pancetta can be subbed for the Canadian bacon.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped (about 1 large)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, halved lenghwise and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 ounce Canadian bacon, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth, fat-free and lower sodium
- 3 cups turkey, cooked and chopped (about 1 pound)
- 2 1⁄2 cups potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and bacon.; cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, turkey, potatoes, and chopped sage, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in pepper.
- Garnish with sage sprigs, if desired.
Absolutely delicious!! My whole family loved the soup. I didn't change anything except that I didn't have fresh sage so I substituted with parsley. I didn't think Canadian bacon would taste good with turkey but it sure did. My son who is 5 usually don't like soup, but the first thing he said that it was yummy. This recipe is definitely a keeper for me. Thank you so much for posting.
Taste's like mashed potato on a spoon. Just delightful! A smooth soup that is so filling and satisfying that you want to eat two bowls. I didn't change anything except to use a apple cured thick sliced bacon in place of the Canadian bacon. Otherwise, followed the recipe exactly. I left a couple pieces of potato whole and the sage/celery leaves really added such a pretty look to the whole soup bowl. Quite a lovely soup, DuChick, thanks for posting this recipe! Made for a bonus tag, *Potluck Tag Game* January 2009.
This is just plain yummy! Especially on a chilly day. I didn't have the Canadian Bacon and my proportions were 'just what I had already on hand' but the mashed 'taters' made it so, so good! 2Thumbs up at my house!