Adapted from a recipe by Kerry Saretsky at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/PRc3uy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 lb dark-meat turkey, 1 whole bone-in thigh
- 1/2 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/4 cups finely grated pecorino romano cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine (about 1 tbsp)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- 1 stem rosemary
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 1Cover dried porcinis with boiling water and set aside for at least 15 minutes. Drain, reserving soaking liquid, and chop finely.
- 2Preheat broiler to high. Remove turkey meat from bone; discard bone and skin. Cut turkey into large chunks, 2-3". Spread on cookie sheet in one layer, and place in freezer for 30 minutes. Transfer partially frozen turkey to food processor. Process in 1-second pulses, 15-20 pulses, until roughly ground.
- 3Transfer turkey to a large bowl. Add half the chopped porcinis, egg, milk, panko, 1/4 c grated Pecorino cheese, chopped rosemary, half the chopped parsley, garlic and olive oil. Mix gently but thoroughly. Form into 16 meatballs, each about 1.2 ounces. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or Silpat. Place meatballs onto cookie sheet and broil 10 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine remaining mushrooms, reserved soaking liquid, remaining parsley, marinara sauce and rosemary stem. Simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, bring 4 cups water and salt to a boil in a large pot.
- 5Transfer meatballs to sauce, and stir to coat. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thick, 10-15 minutes.
- 6Whisk polenta in a thin steady stream into boiling water. Whisk constantly until polenta is fully hydrated, and thick and creamy. Off heat, whisk in remaining 1 cup Pecorino. Serve meatballs and sauce over polenta.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey and Porcini Meatballs With Rosemary and Polenta
Serving Size: 1 (608 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.3
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 104.0 mg
- Sodium 1557.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 30.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese